Skip to main content

On Longing...

The Body is the primary made of perceiving scale.

I chose this picture because I associated it most strongly with the quote. It is a photo of my boyfriend, which I took while at the Badlands National Park in South Dakota. I took it from further away in order to show the scale of the cliff and rock formations around us, using his body as a scale. His body in this case is the primary source for the perception of the scale of the nature around us, without his body there it would seem less impressive.

Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience. 

To be honest, I had a hard time understanding this sentence. What I understood from it was that, some objects can be traces of an authentic experience. One of these authentic experiences i had and the objects describing and leaving a trace of that experience are in this picture. I went out to a drag show with a friend, which offers all you can drink for only $10. I don't think I have to further explain the picture after saying that. 

The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by body.

Bonnaroo was a monumental experience for me the past couple of years. When they send you the ticket, they also send you some little knick knack, like a magic eight ball of a deck of cards. I still have these knick knacks around, at least of of them. They seem small and insignificant compared to the actual experience, and they make the experience seem smaller than it actually was. But it is nice to uncover the knick knacks while cleaning or organising. They bring back many many memories...

Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss.


This photo is of me, my siblings, and my cousins while my family spent the summer at my grandparents' house in Connecticut. I do not have contact to that part of my family anymore and looking at these pictures makes me feel nostalgic about my childhood summers at that home.

To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy

My doofus dog, Candy, is my pride and joy. I show her off, cuddle her until she is annoyed and seeks shelter from me, play with her, take her on hikes, but most importantly we are family. She is the best souvenir i have so far from my time in Florida and without her I would probably not be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D to 2D

I decided to make an album cover using my Memento project as inspiration. I named the album monumental, because that is the impression I had of the environment in Monument valley. I used Adobe Illustrator to create the Illustration of the object, and set in on a solid colored background on top of a geometric form (circle). This give the cover a more graphic feature. I chose the deep red, because it also reminded me of the dirt of the desert, which is home to Monument Valley.

Masked Identity

This project was about creating a mask, that had something to do with identity, whether it was your own personal identity or identity that relates to you, that you can find in somebody else and combine that with Renaissance symbols. I found the aspect of identity, that is reflective of the people you surround yourself with, very interesting and I combined that with the self-reflective symbolism of the mirror. I used these ideas to create a mask that had all these ideas tied into it. I did so by creating the basis out of wire, followed by using tracing paper and gel medium to create a papier mache. I then spray painted the mask white and the face and "antlers" black. I then glued mirror pieces onto the front of the mask. I chose black and white, representing our bad and good qualities, and the mirrors to tie in the reflectiveness of personalities onto one's identity. The mask is about 60 inches wide and 70 i

Hair

Hair protects the skin most sensitive to touch. Hair is also used for personal expression of oneself. You can wear it long or short, curly or straight, naturally or styled, blonde or brunette or any other color we can register. I used to wear my hair quite long. It felt heavy and uncomfortable. A couple months ago I chopped my hair off. What you see in the picture is the hair that now no longer feels like a burden.